Alan Richard Dempster
Founding Architect and Adviser
Dick Dempster, AIA, LEED AP, is truly a steward of community architecture. He has a history of designing civic and community-minded projects like the Canaries Stadium in Sioux Falls, Sanford World Clinics, the Dow Rummel Village Retirement Community, and the Japanese Gardens at Terrace Park. His passion for this profession coupled with his generous commitment to giving have proven to be a great asset to the communities in which his designs are constructed.
Since co-founding Architecture Incorporated in 1976, Dick has left his mark on many projects including University Center classroom buildings in Sioux Falls and Rapid City. In addition to his design and production duties, Dick is responsible for the administration and financial workings of the firm.
"You reach your destination by properly setting your sails, not by following the direction of the wind."
- Technische Hochschule
- Darmstadt, West Germany (ISU Foreign Study)
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Iowa State University
- Iowa State University
- Registered Architect: South Dakota, North Dakota, and Montana
- National Council of Architectural Registration Board (NCARB)
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional
- Corporate Member, National American Institute of Architects
- Member, South Dakota Health and Education Facilities Authority
- Former Member, Sioux Falls Housing Corporation
- Former Member, Main Street Sioux Falls Design Committee
- Past Chairman and Board Member, City of Sioux Falls Board of Preservation
- Past Chairman and Member, City of Sioux Falls Housing and Redevelopment Commission
- Past Chairman and Member, Sioux Falls Planning Commission
- Past Board of Directors and Member, Historic South Dakota Foundation, Inc.
- Past President and Member, American Institute of Architects South Dakota
- Past President and Member, Sioux Falls Architectural Forum
- Former Guest Instructor, South Dakota State University, Landscape Architecture Department and Pre-Architecture Program, College of Engineering
- Faculty Search Committee, SDSU Department of Architecture
- President, Board of Directors, Shoto Teien Japanese Gardens, Inc.
- Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees, First Congregational Church
- Former Member, Renovation and Redevelopment Committee, Dow Rummel Retirement Village
- Past Chairman and Board of Trustees Member, Dow-Rummel Retirement Village
- Past Chairman and Member, Building and Grounds Committee, First Congregational Church
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Children’s Inn
- Past Board of Directors, South Dakota Symphony